Today, Gun Violence Prevention Illinois awarded me an ‘A’ on their 2022 Gun Safety Report Card. As an annual report, legislators of the Illinois General Assembly are scored based on their gun safety voting record. In 2022, five key bills were used as the framework for grading.
In the most recent General Assembly session, I either voted in favor or cosponsored every one of these bills. The bills were:
- HB 2985: Providing up to $10,000 for burial and funeral assistance for child victims.
- HB 3988: Creating a task force to examine and report on the systemic causes of violence against Chicago women.
- HB 4383: Making ghost guns illegal in Illinois by prohibiting the sale, purchase, and manufacturing of ghost guns.
- HB 4729: Creating a three-year public awareness campaign on safe gun storage.
- HB 5193: Allowing school districts to publish information about safe gun storage in student handbooks.
Gun violence affects every city in America. As the state representative for the 11th district, gun safety and prevention remains a top priority. It is one of the main concerns my staff and I hear from constituents, and I remain a strong supporter of further measures to protect Illinois – this includes signing on as a cosponsor of HB5522 (a bill to ban assault weapons), which awaits further action.
I’m grateful to have received a top rating from Gun Violence Prevention Illinois. To view the entire 2022 Gun Safety Report Card, click here.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact my staff and I at Ann@RepAnnWilliams.com or (773) 880-9082. We are here to assist.